Electrical FAQ: Common questions we encounter

What equipment do I need for my substation?

PBW will work with you in determining the configuration (overhead, underground, tamperproof or fenced) best suited for your application. For most applications, a fused switch along with a small power transformer will suffice in bringing the voltage down to a utilizable level. The secondary supply is then fed via “Power Bus Way” cable bus system into your switchboard. PBW can assist you in coordinating the utility requirements and requirements of the Electrical Safety Authority to ensure a painless installation.

What size should my substation be?

PBW can assist you in determining your electrical requirements based on type, power factor and frequency of loads. After establishing the electrical requirement, PBW can help you size and budget your susbstation to coordinate with your overall project.

How are single phase and three phase load amps and load kVA calculated?

Single phase Amps = (kVA x 1000)/Volts Three phase Amps = (kVA x 1000)/Volts x 1.73 Single phase KVA = (Volts x Amps)/1000 Three phase KVA = (Volts x Amps x 1.73)/1000

What is a fused load break switch?

This device is used to disconnect power supplied to the transformer. It’s fuse is an integral part of the “system coordination” protecting your transformer from overloads and possible short circuit conditions. It can be mounted on a pole or in metal enclosed gear.

Does PBW use oil filled transformers or dry type transformers?

PBW analyzes several parameters (ie; size, proximity, indoor/outdoor, voltage level and real estate) to determine which design style is best suited for your application. A general rule of thumb is “Indoor = dry-type” and “outdoor = oil-filled”. Contact PBW for more information.

What is a PBW cable bus system?

“Power Bus Way” provides a flexible, cost-effective method of moving power. Typical applications range from 500 to 5,000 Amps for low to medium voltages. It is an assembly of fully insulated conductors mounted in a ventilated aluminum housing which maintains cable spacing to optimize ampacity.

How long will it take to get power on?

PBW have experienced staff who will work with you to coordinate utility requirements. You need to contact your local utility as soon as possible so they can open a file as this can take many weeks. PBW will design your substation to fit seamlessly within the local utility. PBW will order your equipment (typically 10-12 weeks delivery) and coordinate for installation. PBW will take out the necessary permits and install in accordance to all standards and regulations. The installation is typically 1-2 days.

Will I need to get ESA permits?

In the province of Ontario, all electrical work needs to be inspected by the Electrical Safety Authority. PBW will obtain all necessary permits and approvals for contracted work. PBW will coordinate with ESA for final inspection.

How much is the connection charge from the local utility?

PBW will work with you to determine and/or budget for your connection charge. You should contact your local utility as soon as possible to discuss your needs. As the customer, you will work directly with the utility but PBW can help you along the way.

My utility told me I need to have loop feed, what is that?

A loop feed is a circuit design (topology) used to introduce “back-up”. It is simple two supplies of electricity brought to your location. If the utility has a fault on one, they can supply power to you on the other. PBW will design your system using the most cost effective configurations in conjunction the utilities topologies.

Is my utility a single source supplier for my substation?

In most cases, “Customer owned Substations” installed by private contractors are more cost effective to operate for both short term and long term analysis. You do have options – Contact PBW High Voltage today !